Saturday, March 17, 2012

Bungee jumping!


On Saturday the 10th of March we caught a bus and drove into the city to meet most of the other girls in our group to jump off of the Auckland Harbour bridge. 18 of us showed up and we were very proud of ourselves because we were all on time. We met at the Maritime museum and were picked up by two employees who drove us to the bungee place. We all got harnessed up in there before going out onto the bridge.
we looked so good! We had to wear helmets on the walk out across the bridge for safety reasons, we were also connected to a cable all the way across so that we couldn't fall off before the jumping part came.

We wore these harnesses so that after the bungee we could pull a chord and get pulled back up in a sitting position rather than by our feet.
The view was so pretty out across the bridge. Disregard the helmet hair, it looked good before we had to put those on.
Sarah was a spectator (hence the lack of harness). We had 14 jumpers and 4 spectators in our group. The spectators just had black belts they connected to the cable so they wouldn't fall on the way up. The brand on the belts was "aspiring", they weren't quite to the jumping level yet.
The incredible city of Auckland New Zealand! Oh how I am going to miss this place.



This is me about .5 seconds before I jumped. I was so terrified, I almost didn't jump. When he was strapping my ankles together and attaching me to the the cord I thought I was going to pass out. As I waddled out to the edge of the platform I decided not to jump and told the guy I couldn't do it. He probably hears that a lot, he did a very good job of talking me into it because I got to the edge and then realized that if I stood there I would change my mind again, so I jumped. the rule, which he went over before anyone jumped, was to wait till he counted down. That is for safety reasons because if a boat goes under the bridge when you jump there is the possibility of hitting it. I jumped before he even started counting down, he was still checking the screen to make sure there was nothing there. So it is lucky that there was no boat and that I survived that jump. It was so cool! Probably the biggest adrenalin rush I have ever had in my life. I LOVED IT! I would do it again in a heartbeat if it didn't cost so darn much money.
This is the guy that pulled me back up after. I thought he looked like the guy that helped us into our harnesses at the swing, but I didn't think to ask if they were related till after we left the platform, now I will never know.

I loved that we all got to go up together, we had to split up at the swing but this time we watched and cheered on everyone as they jumped. We had a blast all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment